Oregon USDA Certified Agricultural Mediation Program (OCAMP)

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) Certified Mediation Program for Oregon provides alternative dispute resolution through mediation to agricultural producers, their lenders and others directly affected by the actions of certain USDA agencies. In mediation, a trained, impartial mediator helps participants review and discuss their conflicts, identify options to resolve disputes and agree on solutions. Mediation helps to avoid expensive and time-consuming administrative appeals and/or litigation.

OCAMP is administered by Six Rivers Dispute Resolution Center. Six Rivers partners with specialized mediators around the state of Oregon. These highly trained and experienced professionals understand farming, ranching, and small farms. They are people you can shake hands with, look in the eye, and have an honest conversation with. They can help with communication and listening skills, facilitate transitions, and coordinate solutions.

Learn more about this program and others around the country through the FSA Fact Sheet and Coalition of Agricultural Mediation Programs

What kinds of agricultural disputes can be mediated?

  • Adverse Decisions from USDA agencies
  • Compliance Issues with USDA Farm and Conservation Programs
  • Farm and Rural Development Loans
  • Farm Credit/Debt Issues
  • Wetlands Determinations
  • Crop Insurance
  • Pesticide, Land Leasing, and Grazing Issues
  • Conflicting Agricultural Practices
  • Organic Certification Disputes
  • Farm Transitions and Succession
  • Farm Labor Disputes
  • Any dispute involving a producer or USDA agency 
  • Parties may initiate mediation as prevention, prior to an adverse decision

How much does mediation cost?

OCAMP provides free mediation services to the agricultural community in Oregon on issues involving a USDA agency. For other agricultural issues, OCAMP will provide the first four hours of mediation services free of charge. At that point, a rate of $175/session will be charged to each party for additional sessions. A sliding scale can be applied as appropriate.

How do I request mediation through OCAMP?

Request mediation in one of three ways:

Oregon Certified Agricultural Mediation Program
PO Box 1594
Hood River, OR 97031


Phone: 541-386-1283

If the dispute involves an adverse determination from a USDA agency, provide this letter with the request for mediation. OCAMP mediators will conduct one-on-one confidential interviews with each party to learn background information about the dispute. Discussion of new information and potential solutions may occur throughout the mediation process.